In Uganda, there is an ongoing need for native English speakers to help provide lessons and instructions in both rural and urban schools. We place volunteers in rural schools that greatly lack native English-speaking teachers. As an education volunteer you will help children learn the correct use of English words, master English grammar, encourage writing, reading and comprehension skills. This will let the children learn the language in a practical way and may be able to improve their verbal skills.
This volunteer project involves teaching primary school children using dedicated one-on-one sessions to help bring them up to required standards. The aim is to give certain students extra attention as they have fallen behind the rest of their peers
Volunteers are to work in government and public primary schools located in and around the areas to teach children. Volunteers mainly teach children aged between 4-16years. Typical subjects to be taught include English (Conversational and Written), Math’s, Geography, Religious Education, Entrepreneurship skills, General Knowledge as well as Physical Education a sports program in schools.
Volunteers will be involved as well in Teaching English to the students and help them in improving their vocabulary and spoken English skills. Although English is an important language in Uganda and is spoken widely, volunteers find that the conversational and vocabulary skill of the students in this area is not up to the mark. Having good English language skills is very important for the students as it plays an important role in attaining good jobs in different parts of the country.
Volunteers are to teach for approximately 4-5 hours a day, five days a week. In this program, volunteers can work by themselves or alongside other teachers. Volunteers are encouraged to use new and innovative teaching methods and teach in a fun way technique which could make the subject more interesting for the students thus keeping everyone involved.
The students enjoy reading stories and playing educational games during their sessions. They will also have the opportunity to ask any questions they may have and get some individual attention which they are not getting in their classroom.
You should typically work with the same small group of students one-on-one each day for a period of about 30 minutes, then several more in the reading focus and afternoon workshop sessions. Resources, art materials, games and the curriculum will be provided to help you prepare your lessons.
- Assisting the teachers to provide low cost teaching material and fun for the children.
- Design a proper study module for the children to follow.
- Assist in-house teachers in conducting classes and other administrative works.
- Involving students in out–of–the–class activities to teach them the importance of physical activity.
- Teaching Conversational English to students.
- Assisting in other subjects such as computer teaching.
- Sharing new ideas with the students and exchanging their views on different topics.
- Creating a playful environment and enhance the creativity of the children through painting, playing games, singing.
- Teaching English at local schools, home stay, develop lesson plans use and share own teaching methodologies coordinate with local teachers, help them develop conversational skills in English, learning about different cultures.
- Taking classes for students in primary, secondary, and even nursery schools.
- Teaching them some Basic English language and, help to get confident in speaking and writing English.
- Teaching of games, drawing, reading, writing, singing, dancing.
- Assistance in extra-curricular sports.
- English instructions in village schools.
- Opportunity to participate in traditional festivals like cultural dances.
- Helping of children do homework, monitoring of their academic progress.
- You DO NOT need to be a qualified teacher to join this program. However, you are required to have a good command over the language, your written and spoken English must be good.
- As a volunteer, you will have an opportunity to work closely and personally with impoverished children who need lots of care, love and support.
- If you are enthusiastic with a flexible attitude and are humanitarian by nature, we would love to have you volunteer with us.
- If you’re a qualified teacher or educator by profession, you’ll be of a great advantage in impacting these communities. However, even if you have no teaching experience at all, your service still can prove life-changing for these children.
NB: You may select which age group of children you would prefer to work with; Kinder kids, pre-scholars, 8 to 12 year olds or teenagers. Each age group needs their own special care and attention. This program is open to worldwide participants, participant travelers, independently